Frequently Asked Questions

Frequently Asked Questions

Answers to some of our most frequently asked questions

How do I get a copy of a Report?

You may pick up a report in person at 517 Sunset Dr, Manning, S.C., 29102 or have it mailed, faxed, or emailed to you.

I want to burn trash or yard debris. Who do I need to notify?

If you live inside the city limits of Manning, you will need to call the Manning Fire Department at (803) 435-4144.

If you live outside the city limits of Manning, Summerton, or Turbeville, you will need to call the South Carolina Forestry Commission’s Burn Notification Hotline at 1-800-986-3597 for Clarendon County. You will not receive a permit number.

I want to conduct an agricultural burn, burn a large pile of debris from land clearing, or burn a tract of land/woods. Who do I need to notify?

You will need to call the South Carolina Forestry Commission Dispatch Center at 1-800-777-3473.

Can Clarendon County Fire Rescue burn my abandoned house for training?

For liability reasons, Clarendon County Fire Rescue does not use acquired structures for training burns. If you want to burn an abandoned house-that you own, as a method of debris removal, you will need to contact the Department of Health and Environmental control (DHEC) and the South Carolina Forestry commission for the proper procedures and permits.

Do you fill swimming pools?

We do not fill swimming pools; you must fill your swimming pool from your metered water system or well.  To buy metered water in bulk, contact your local water company.

Do you get cats out of trees?

We understand and respect the level of concern that you have for your pet.  Experience has revealed that the cat will eventually come down on its own.

Why do I see fire/rescue vehicles with lights and sirens, proceed through a red light at an intersection, and then turn their lights off and slow down?

Often, incidents require that more than one unit be dispatched to handle the call.  The first unit may have arrived on scene, surveyed the situation, and advised the dispatcher that the situation was under control.  All other responding units may then be canceled and return to service, ready for the next incident.

Why do I see firefighters setting up a “portable swimming pool-like tank” and other fire engines putting water in the tank? Did the first fire engine not have water on it?

All of our fire engines have internal tanks that carry a minimum of 1,000 gallons of water.  At larger fires, especially a fire involving a structure, it may require more water than the 1,000 gallons brought by the first engine.  All of our fire engines carry a portable tank, capable of holding 2,100 gallons of additional water and each fire engine is capable of “drafting” (vacuuming) the water from the portable tank into their internal tank.  The other fire engines will transfer their water from their internal tanks to the portable tank and proceed to a predesignated water refill point (this may be a fire hydrant, pond, boat ramp, etc.).  This process is called a “water shuttle” and is used in areas of the county where there are no fire hydrants within 1,000 feet of the fire.

What am I supposed to do when an emergency vehicle with its lights and siren on approaches my vehicle from the behind?

The appropriate action to take in the event that any emergency vehicle with its lights and siren on approaches your vehicle from behind is to slow down, pull to the right, and stop until the emergency vehicle passes.  When the general public responds to this situation in a consistent and predictable way, it lessens the likelihood of a collision with an emergency vehicle.